Take a peek inside our “work in progress” projects
In order to be a good country, Singapore has to be a good place for thousands of families to live in. We must have love.
Love is patient, love is kind.
Learnsible Family hopes that love is built in the enjoying of the activities, from generation to generation, mother tongue first.
What's Unique about our Learnsible Family App?
Learnsible Family 了了家 is an educational mobile app targeted at young children. Currently with its storytelling and game features, it aims to promote generation-to-generation relationship building, as well as to encourage multi-racial harmony by incorporating multilingual capabilities with three other mother tongues of Singapore being – Chinese 华语, Malay 马来语 and Tamil 泰米尔语, other than English 英语.
The game feature of the app helps young children to strengthen their base in learning by identifying objects. Games are a good way to create interest in learning. Users will be able to learn how to spell them and also learn its pronunciations by listening to the audio feature inside the game.
The story library of the app contains a variety of animation videos made for young children and is conceptually, a story within a story. The animation is basically about the elder doing storytelling to the young. Each of the storytelling has a moral theme. The story animations are available in four different languages – along with subtitles to help learn more efficiently.
We have a three generation family characters – Grandpa Lohman, Grandma Claire, Papa Peter, Mama May, Young Lewis and Young Cara. The story script is first written in Chinese as it is a complex language, then further translated in English, Malay and Tamil. We then animated the same story into four different languages of voiceover or voiceact.
We hope that in the process of storytelling, the young ones get to learn with the parent or grandparents together. Lingual and moral values can be passed down from older generations (Baby Boomers as grandparents, X, Y and Z generation as parent) to the young, thus the Chinese name 家, also known as family in English, keluarga in Malay and குடும்பம் in Tamil.
Learnsible 了了 is our company name, a tech startup established in 2019 aimed to unlock, enhance, build and accelerate learning capabilities of each individual. Everyone is Special. Our Belief: Enjoy as You Learn, Reason as You Love. 小时候了了者, 至大亦能通晓事理。
Teaching a child to communicate efficiently in mother tongue is extremely important.
Mother tongue education is a form of schooling that a child receives in a language that he or she is most familiar with. It is usually the language they use to communicate with their parents back at home.
Children can easily speak multiple languages or dialects at home. For example, they might talk to their mother in one, father in another, with their grandparents in a third and again in a completely different language with their friends. Thus, it is good and easier to pick up on multiple new things at a tender age
Singapore schools often teach children other subjects such as Mathematics and Science in English language other than their mother tongue. In such cases, mother tongue becomes just another mere subject. Thus, it is important to cultivate the interest of mother tongue. Else, English will be predominately be the language used at home. And in the process, cultural values are lost.
Bilingual children are the ones who speak their mother tongue at home. But when at school, use another language for communication. Singapore is a city-state where people speak in multiple languages. Thus, it becomes necessary for the parents and the school authorities to educate the children in different languages.
There are many bilingual institutions in Singapore that aim to teach children a second or a third language. In such programmes, they give equal importance to learning both the languages. Thus, children learn how to take full advantage of their multilingualism and biliteracy.
Learnsible Family 了了家 is the brainchild of Lee Kuan Yew Fund for Bilingualism. This Fund was set up on 28 November 2011 with the launch of Mr Lee Kuan Yew’s book “My Lifelong Challenge: Singapore’s Bilingual Journey”.
Lee Kuan Yew, one of the longest serving Prime Ministers of Singapore, highly believed in maintaining proper education in the mother tongue. He believed that the mother tongue can preserve one’s identity. He was a believer in bilingualism and also highly promoted it.
Mr Lee Kuan Yew believes that bilingual education is a cornerstone of our education system. Learning English and the Mother Tongue Languages will help Singaporean kids to plug into a globalised world and strengthen links to our Asian heritage, forming an integral part of Singapore’s identity and asset. The Fund supports projects and proposals that encourage learning of our mother tongue languages as living languages and a lifelong endeavour.
According to many foundations in Singapore and in many other places of the world, mother tongue education should be a necessity and not just a norm. These foundations believe that in today’s globalised world, all children must benefit from a multilingual education which offers them an opportunity to become fluent in their mother tongues as well as in the official language of the state. Along with it, the institutions should also teach the children a few more languages that allow them to pursue higher education. It also helps to communicate at ease in multiple languages through different media and contribute their best to improve the conditions of the society.
In the end, mother tongue education is all about creating a levelled playing field for children from all places, about creating equal prosperity opportunities regardless of class, economic status, educational background or geographic location.
Other benefits which can be observed:
- Children Learn Better
- Children learn better than they do when taught in any other language than their mother tongue. Since they are always speaking at home in this language, it becomes easier for them to grasp various difficult things which would otherwise be tough if they had been taught in any other language.
- Easy To Follow And Grow
- The use of mother tongue in educational institutions make the children feel at home rather than being in an uncomfortable place full of rules and restrictions to follow. As a result, when they can enjoy themselves freely, they can also interact with the teachers freely when they face any problem and can get it solved without any delays.
- Growth Of Self-Esteem
- Children with a proper education in their mother tongue also have an increased sense of self-esteem. It might so happen that they at times look down upon themselves when people are talking in a language they are not aware of. But when they have a strong command over their mother tongue, their self-esteem automatically increases and they tend to show confidence.
- Better Growth Of A Child
- Since parents play a vital part in every child’s life, mother tongue education helps the parents contribute towards their child’s growth. They can actively and easily take part in all of their child’s education related conversations and also help them with their homework. This, in turn, allows the child to prosper better in life and encourages them to do the same for their children.
- Chance At A Better Future
- Children trained in a multilingual way tend to enjoy higher socioeconomic status. Multiple studies have confirmed this. They also tend to have higher earnings as compared to the ones knowing just one language. Thus, mother tongue education ultimately leads them to a better life. This some other form of education might not have been able to offer.
- Better Intellectual Development
- Children who are fluent in their master tongue, not just in using it while speaking, but also in other forms, have shown to have higher cognitive development. They have also been found to have a better intellectual development than the others. This, in turn, leads to them performing better than other students in their studies. No wonder Singapore has such brilliant minds all over the country.
- Develops A Better Connection With The Culture
- What is that one most important thing that keeps one’s culture alive? It is none other than language. So, when a child receives proper education in its mother tongue and about its mother tongue, they form a better connection with their culture. Often, a direct or indirect translation of their mother tongue, or any language in that case, might not lead to form a similar bond. No matter however we try, the emotional connectivity is lost. The best possible way for a child to know about his or her culture is only through his or her mother tongue. In this case, we might also go ahead and say that one’s mother helps in connecting them to their roots.
- Helps In Mastering A New Language
- Like it is said often to every growing child, if you know the basics, you surely can master the art. Similarly, if a child has a firm knowledge of his or her mother tongue it becomes much easier for him to master a new language. Being educated in mother tongue since childhood automatically leads a child to having stronger skills in other languages.
- Imparts An Upper Hand In The Commercial Market
- As we all know, when a person is conducting business on national grounds, local goes a long way. So, if your child is properly educated in his or her mother tongue, they are surely to bond better with the clients. Thus, leading to a better business growth and also in cases, a quicker success. It helps especially when one has decided to be an entrepreneur.
- Develops A Sense Of Pride
- Being well versed in your mother tongue is also a matter of pride. It shows how much you love your culture and also helps you build confidence in yourself. That is surely extremely needed in this rude and rough and tough world.
- Such are the benefits of one’s mother tongue that it can help the children prosper in as many ways as possible. So, you decide for yourself, what is more important – educating your child in a foreign language or educating them in their mother tongue?